Intercountry Adoption Family Support Service
The path to adopting a child from overseas can be both a rewarding and challenging experience. There are many points along the journey where issues can arise and support from a professional who understands intercountry adoption can make all the difference.
The Intercountry Adoption Family Support Service is delivered by Relationship Matters. It is a free, independent, nation-wide service, which provides post adoption support to families formed by intercountry adoption, including expatriate adoptions, as well as support to couples and individuals engaged in the intercountry adoption process. Support is also provided to intercountry adopted children, teens and adults.
The service provides counselling support and information and support services to assist with a range of issues and challenges including:
- Practical and emotional support to prepare couples and individuals for the assessment process, as well as support post placement
- Support in planning for and meeting your adopted child
- Support in dealing with the impact of the process on you and your relationships
- Help with managing the transition from a couple to parents
- Support for you and your child in managing challenging behaviours (at any age)
- Assistance and guidance in navigating supports and services for you and your child
- Support and understanding for challenges during your child’s teenage years
- Support with unique challenges faced by intercountry adopted adults.
Who can access the service?
The service is available to a range of people who have experienced intercountry adoption or are an intercountry adoptee. If you fall into any of the following categories, then you can access the service free of charge:
- Couples, families or individuals who have placed an application for adoption with their state department and are going through the assessment process
- Couples, families or individuals who have completed an intercountry adoption (post adoption)
- Couples, families or individuals who have adopted a child while living overseas and have returned to live in Australia with the child
- Children, teenagers and adults who have been adopted from overseas.
How much does the service cost?
The Intercountry Adoption Family Support Service is provided free of charge, regardless of what support you require.
How to contact the service
Call 1300 543 396 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to speak to a member of the Intercountry Adoption Support Team.
They will help in identifying what type of support you may want to access and refer you onto our Information and Support Worker or a Counsellor in your local area or State.
What happens once you contact the service
Once you decide to call or email the service, a member of the Intercountry Adoption Support Team will talk to you in more detail about the service and the supports you may want to access. During this conversation, you may be asked a few questions about your current intercountry adoption situation (are you post-adoption, where do you live, do you have a specific challenge you would like help with). At the end of this conversation, we will refer you onto our Information and Support Worker or a Counsellor in your area or State to make an appointment.
About your privacy
Your privacy is paramount.
- Read more about Counselling Support >
- Read more about Information and Support Services >
- Read more about our Education Seminars >
- Information for Referral Services >
Request an Information Pack
If you would like more information on the services listed, please call Relationship Matters National Office on 1300 543 396 and speak directly to a member of the Intercountry Adoption Support Team. You can also email us at email@example.com